Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Snowflake Tea Light Candle

Hello My Friends!!

Thank you for stopping by my blog today. I have a treat for you. It's a project that has been very popular out there on the 'net. It's been done by soooo many people, that I have no idea who was the actual creator.

But anyway, I had to do one myself. So several of us got together on Saturday and "played" all day. Even Richard got involved! He was working the Big Shot, both the manual and the electric, trying out all sorts of sandwiches to determine which is the best for each machine. I honestly can't tell you the sandwich other than you need shims - sometimes one, sometimes 2. You have to play with your own machine.

So here is the snowflake tea light.

How do you like it? It's made using aluminum flashing from the siding department at Home Depot. It comes in a roll 6" x 25'. We took the time to cut it into 6"x6" squares using the red Tim Holtz scissors. (proper name escapes me at the moment.) There's two snowflakes, glued together with a hot glue gun. The candle is also adhered with the hot glue. Stampin' Up!'s chunky silver glitter is added to the tips using Tombow mono adhesive glue. Now, I see I should add glitter around the base of the tea light. I will definitely go back and add some. Don't you love glitter?!! Just gets me all excited. LOL!!

What I CAN tell you is that....
  • sandwich - cutting plate, snowflake bigz die, aluminum, possible shim, cutting plate, possible 2nd shim - depends on your machine
  • run through big shot 2-3 times for best results for easy removal
  • you need to dedicate a die if making a lot for gifts or sell items at a fair. - metal gets caught in the die and also can tear foam
One of my friends, Pat, also made tea lights using the dies Daisy #2 and Flower Folds. They turned out beautifully. Sorry, didn't think to take pictures. I will try to get together with her and take some pics to post later. Just a note - if using the xl bigz die like Flower Folds, cut your aluminum at 6"x12" to fit the full size of the die.

Take the time to play with your Big Shot with different materials. Have fun!!!

3 comments:

Trina said...

This looks awesome!

Helen said...

What a great project!

Tenia Nelson said...

Awesomeness!!!